Monday, July 7, 2008

4,14,08 -- Old Socks

No I haven't found a way to keep a sock from losing its mate. Some say safety pin them together before washing, but I know me better than to believe I will take the time to do that. However, I keep all the lonely ones and sometimes their mate shows up. But here are a few things that can be done with those who never make it back to their one and only..Cut off the toe and use the top for baby knee pads. I have seen active crawlers with callused knees who could use them. This keeps knees clean, too. (Hummm....automatic floor polishers, too? I've seen crawlers who put on a lot of miles.) Put a sock on a stick and clean under the refrigerator or other out-of the way places. Use as shoe polishing clothes. etc. Store your loose change in the lone sock. When it gets full a few inches, it would make a good "clobber-er" in case you needed to clobber someone. (Well, that's sort-of silly. But in this world, maybe some sort of defense plan is wise. I saw in a catalog where you could buy a look-real gun. That would make me feel more comfortable than thinking I could use a "clobber-er" or even learning how to use a real gun and having to worry about kids finding it. I'll remember the car-horn idea, too. (Keeping my car keys handy so I could push the peeper, in case someone threatened me. With that noise going on and me waving a look-real gun and a sock full of coin, I will likely have a good chance of scaring off a bad guy.)
Wear odds for work days around the house, trying to pair up the two nearest alike.
Once upon a time, mothers and grandmothers made sock dolls. I haven't seen many of those around for some time. And to darn a sock?? Does anyone even know how anymore? Forget it. Times do change and those of us from the old days might as will put this ought-to-do thing away and not feel guilty. Of course, I know someone who buys the most expensive and best socks available and takes care of them by pinning them together for washing and then darns any holes. They last for years, look good and make me admire the owners. Personally, I live with the idea of buying all socks alike and the dollar-a-pair kind and a lot of them. Then when one gets lost or chucked when it gets a hole, the mate can match up with another lonely one and go on with its life. But there is still in me some of the feeling that there is something wrong with this throw-away society. Especially I get annoyed with how often we have to "throw-away" some piece of electrical equipment, like a computer, just because something better has come along. At least nothing has come along to replace socks. Send suggestions to Veda Hale, Box 956, Panguitch, Utah, 84759 or email vedahale@hotmail.com

No comments: