Monday, July 7, 2008

5,04,08 - breath sweetners

I remember living in a dorm one winter and eating at a caffeteria. It was at a time when I was particularly concious of things that would make my breath sweet. I started eating the parsley that was inevitibly put on each plate and usually thrown away. Someone had mentioned that it was good for you in many ways, one being keeping breath fresh. It is rich in clorophile, so it makes sense. Here are two other ways I could have used, had I wanted to go to the trouble. Boil some cinnamon bark in a cup of water. Store it in a clean bottle in your bathroom. Use it as a mouthwash frequently. That hint would have been hard to do under the circumstance, but I could have bought some cardamom seeds and chewed a few from time to time. Probably less expensive than the over-the-counter remidies. And at that time that was an issue. Now I have this idea that lots of garlic is good for me and for some reason it is something I like eating. I even roast a small handfull of the cloves that I buy peeled and frozen from Costco and can eat them straight with a little toast. This is what got me thingking about breath remidies. Well, it doesn't take much looking to find that garlic is indeed good for you in many ways. I did find out that eating roasted garlic is a good food, but likely most of the medicinal benefits have been lost in the roasting. So if you are thinking medicine, better stick to the raw. But if you are eating more than one fresh glove a day for a medicine, that is enough. Who knows that too much might be harmful, just as too much of a medicine could be. So don't go overboard. When a loved one or friend is sick with a cold or flu, we might feel the Chicken Soup remidie is not very special anymore. (Yes, it has been proven to be helpful and has entered our thinking as what to do for a cold.) Here is another receipe for colds and flu that might make your concern seem more original. Sauté 6 crushed cloves of garlic in 1 tsp. vegetable oil until golden. Pour in a quart of beef or chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and whisk in 2 egg whites. Beat together 2 egg yolks and 2 Tbls. distilled white vinegar; pour this mixture into the soup. Season with salt and pepper and top with croutons, if desired. Sounds good to me, what with my fixation on garlic right now. Send suggestions to Veda Hale Box 956, Panguitch, Utah 84759 or email vedahale@hotmail.com__________________

No comments: